Giant Cinnamon Roll Cake
Modified from a non-vegan recipe. End product is great as a coffee cake or birthday cake!
- ⅓ cup warm water
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk of choice (I used rice milk)
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- ½ cup (4oz) margarine
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- ⅔ cups applesauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- 3 cups all purpose flour (or flour of your choice)
- 5 Tbsp very soft margarine½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp orange zest (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together the water, applesauce, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Set aside for 5-10 minutes, or until it gets a little bubbly and foamy.
- Heat the milk and margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat until the margarine is melty and soft. Make sure it’s not too hot, just warm. Whisk the milk & margarine mixture into the yeast mixture and combine. Add the salt and nutmeg and whisk until blended.
- Add a cup of flour and give the dough a stir to combine. Add the remaining flour and mix until a dough begins to form. Transfer the dough to a well floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and slightly elastic, adding small amounts of flour as needed to keep it from sticking. Place the dough into a large, buttered bowl and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Filling: Meanwhile, whisk together the white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, orange zest and salt in a small bowl for the filling and set aside.
- Once the dough has risen, gently deflate it and return it to a large floured surface (a clean kitchen counter works best for this step). Shape into a rectangle and using a rolling pin, roll it out to 9 x 30in. Smear your very soft butter across the surface of the dough. Sprinkle your sugar filling evenly over the buttered dough.
- Roll the dough so that it is a 30in long roll. Cut in half length-wise, then lightly pinch together the open parts so the cinnamon sugar doesn’t spill out too much.
- In a well greased or parchment lined 9 to 10 inch springform or cake pan, begin to coil one half of the roll around itself starting from the center. Pinch together the end of that half to the other half and continue coiling that around until you have one big spiral. (I found the easiest way to do this was to put one end of one of the rolls into the center of the pan, and then to turn the pan while coiling the dough around itself)
- Set the pan aside and allow the dough to rise for about 30 minutes, or until puffy. Preheat the oven to 350F and cook for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate (this part’s tricky… figure it out yourself) and let it cool. Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until a smooth icing forms. Drizzle over the baked cinnamon roll after it has cooled for 10 minutes or so. Enjoy :3
1 year ago with 2 notes
Tagged as: DA BOMB. giant cinnamon roll. horcrvx. recipes. vegan. pastry. cake. cinnamon roll.
- veganbakingexchange posted this
theme by: heloísa teixeira